Investor FAQ

Investors » Investor FAQ

We have included below some forms that are often used throughout the tenancy.  If you do have any further questions please see FAQ’s below or contact our office on 1300 606 175.

How often are viewings for prospective tenants carried out on my property?

Viewings are carried out on a regular basis at times that suit prospective tenants.

We conduct viewings after hours and on Saturdays.

How do you obtain a quality tenant?

Firstly, we meet the tenants during the viewing of the property. All applications undergo rigorous employment and reference checks. We also ensure that tenants are not listed on the national database for rental arrears and damages. You will be kept informed of who has applied for your property and you will have the final say on who resides at your property.

Do you personally meet prospective tenants?

Yes, our Property Managers are responsible for both the leasing and ongoing management of the property.

They carry out viewings with the tenants as well as maintaining contact with the tenant throughout the duration of the lease agreement.

How much can I rent my property for?

There are several factors that come in to play when renting your property, including the condition and age of the property, number of bedrooms, appliances, current market condition to name a few. As your property investment specialist we will go through this process with you to ensure that you understand and achieve top dollar for your investment. 

How long does it take to find a tenant for my property?

Unfortunately, we cannot give you an exact timeline on how long it will take to find tenants.

However, if the property is priced to suit market conditions, is well presented and inspections are carried out regularly it will cut down on your vacancy time.

What is the average length of a Tenancy Agreement?

The most common and recommended tenancy is a Fixed Term agreement of 6 or 12 months. The Agreement may be re-negotiated before the end of each fixed term period.

We contact you about 2-3 months prior to a lease expiry with options and advice about the current market conditions. 

Who holds the Bond money?

A maximum amount equal to four weeks rent is to be paid by the tenant as Bond prior to the Tenant moving into the Property unless the rent is greater than $700 per week.

In this case, then an agreed amount can be requested to be paid over and above the four weeks rent as Bond.

The Bond is lodged with the Residential Tenancies Authority and held there until the tenant vacates the premises and a thorough Agent Exit Property Inspection and report is completed and we are satisfied the tenant has returned the property as required and all rent has been paid. The Bond is then dispersed appropriately.

What is your policy regarding rental arrears?

Our office has a strict policy on rental arrears, rental arrears are carried out on a daily basis and tenants are contacted at day 3 of being behind.

A formal notice to remedy breach will be issued once the rent reaches 8 days behind.  

When can I charge water to my tenants?

Water can be charged if the property is individually metered and water efficient.

Tenants are responsible for their water usage however landlords are required to pay for the fixed access charges. Charging water is simple, just contact QLD Urban Utilities and have the bill directed to us. We will then make full payment of the bill from your rental funds.

The tenants will then be invoiced for their portion of the water bill.

How often are routine inspections carried out?

Routine inspections are carried out on a regular basis, every 3 to 4 months.  You are sent a copy of the report, complete with photographs, after each inspection.

How often can I inspect the Property other than for maintenance?

The Tenancy Agreement specifies that the tenant permits the Lessor/Agent to inspect the property during the tenancy provided the tenant is given notice, as required by the RTRA Act. The Act states that unless a Tenant agrees otherwise, entry may not be made less than 3 months after a previous entry by the Lessor/Agent.

Are all repairs done properly?

Work arranged by QMGT for your key investment, is carried out by a suitably qualified and licensed tradesperson.

If the work required is covered by a warranty, we contact the supplier, or if the work is claimable under your Landlord or any other insurance policy, we can contact the insurer to claim on your behalf.

QMGT has access to a wide range of professional tradespeople who have met QMGT’s stringent criteria.

What Insurance is needed for an investment Property?

Before renting a Property it is highly recommended to have appropriate insurance cover such as ‘Landlord Protection Insurance’.

We can provide various brochures from Insurance Companies providing this type of policy.

Building / contents insurance and public liability cover are vital.  For strata title properties, the Body Corporate manager organises building insurance / public liability for common property areas; landlords need to cover contents (eg. carpets, blinds) and public liability inside a unit.

Packages are typically available from your preferred Insurer for cost effective and comprehensive protection.

All queries about insurance must be directed to Insurance Providers.